National Redress Scheme
The Queensland Government will join the National Redress Scheme for people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse.
The National Redress Scheme will provide redress to people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse and will run for 10 years. There are rules about who can apply.
Our participation in the National Scheme–anticipated to begin towards the end of 2018–will mean that people who have experienced child sexual abuse while in the care of the Queensland Government may be eligible for redress.
Below are the useful links for information on the National Redress Scheme.
For more information please contact Lotus Place-07 3347 8500
First International Award for Find & Connect
We are very proud to announce that we are the recipients of the Society of American Archivists Philip M. Hamer and Elizabeth Hamer Kegan Award, and the only successful project outside of the US and Canada to win this prestigious prize.
This award is for organisations that have increased public awareness of a specific body of documents through compilation, transcription, exhibition, or public presentation.
$500 Million for Survivors of Child Sex Abuse
Queensland will pay its share to survivors of sexual abuse in government run institutions.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said it was an important milestone acknowledging the suffering of those abused in care. “Although no amount of money can return a lost childhood it is important that we acknowledge what these victims have been through,” the Premier said.
Pell's lawyer accuses journalist of 'poisoning the public's mind'
On Tuesday, ABC journalist Louise Milligan was questioned by Cardinal Pell's high-profile defence barrister Robert Richter, QC, who accused her of not conducting proper checks for a story about his client's alleged offences that aired on the 7.30 program.
Cardinal George Pell could face fresh charges after new witness statement emerges
Cardinal George Pell may face fresh charges after a sensational development during his committal hearing.
The Melbourne Magistrates Court heard on Tuesday that a witness, who was due to face cross examination, had supplied a new statement to police on Monday evening.
ACT child sex abuse survivors to have access to national redress scheme
Survivors of child sexual abuse in institutions working under the ACT government will be eligible for support after the territory moved to opt into a new national redress scheme.
The scheme, operating from July 1, will provide access to counselling and psychological services, payments of up to $150,000, and direct responses from the institution where the abuse occurred.
Reformers urge Australian bishops to release report on child sexual abuse royal commission
Reform group Catholics for Renewal and prominent Catholic author Paul Collins say public release of the Truth Justice and Healing Council’s royal commission assessment report, delivered to bishops last week, is a test of whether Australia’s bishops have learnt the lessons of the royal commission and are prepared to include lay Catholics in decision-making.
Child sex abuse survivors given 'unrealistic' deadline for compensation
Survivors of child abuse will face an “especially unrealistic” deadline to decide whether to accept offers of compensation under the government’s redress scheme, lawyers and child protection advocates have warned.
The redress scheme legislation before parliament gives survivors 90 days to decide on a compensation offer once it is made by a church or institution.
Political row over redress scheme for child sexual abuse
The federal government has curbed the power of the Senate to overhaul a new scheme that offers redress for victims of child sexual abuse, setting up a flashpoint over plans to cap compensation claims at $150,000 for each person.
DNA match brings Paddy Cannon's 60-year search for his family to an end
Paddy has finally found his family — all 67 of them: The Derrigs of County Mayo, north-west Ireland.
"It was a shock for them and shock for me, but a happy shock," he told 7.30.
A few years ago, he enlisted the aid of the charity, Child Migrants Trust, which helped to put his DNA on an international database.
It was a game-changer.
Child migrants forcibly sent to Australia from UK after WWII to be compensated for abuse, neglect
Thousands of child migrants who were forcibly sent to Australia from Britain after World War II are likely to be compensated for the abuse and neglect they suffered.
Statement regarding reporting in Courier Mail, 27 February 2018
The Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod is committed to doing all that we can to provide fair, consistent and compassionate redress for people who were sexually abused as children in our care. This has been the unwavering commitment of the church as a response to the Royal Commission and our position will not be changing.
South Australia to opt in to National Redress Scheme for sex abuse victims
South Australia will opt into the National Redress Scheme for sexual abuse survivors after a deal was struck to recognise the state’s already established compensation scheme, Premier Jay Weatherill says.
Sexual abuse survivors in Victoria to be able to sue churches as Government moves to end 'Ellis defence'
Survivors of sexual abuse will soon be able to sue churches in Victoria, as the State Government moves to close a legal loophole.
Currently, laws in the state prevent victims from being able to take legal action against some non-incorporated organisations, like churches.
Call to give criminals redress for abuse
Excluding people convicted of serious crimes from access to redress for child sexual abuse amounts to "double punishment", a Senate inquiry has heard.
Survivors respond to Ballarat Diocese meeting abuse compensation
Clergy abuse survivors are pushing for a more comprehensive redress model as the Catholic Diocese of Ballarat reveals it is confident in being in a financial position to meet all compensation claims.
Paul de Jersey accused of conflict of interest over role in sex abuse law review
Queensland Governor and former chief justice Paul de Jersey has come under fire for perceived conflict of interest over his role in a legal review 20 years ago that recommended maintaining legal limitations for child sex abuse claims.
The archbishop, the mansion and the beach house
At the same time the Catholic Church was fighting a family who refused to accept $55,000 compensation for each of their abused daughters, it purchased a Kew mansion for Archbishop Denis Hart now valued at $2.25 million.
Statement on past mental health practices – The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
"The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists commends the Queensland Government's acknowledgment of the past harmful mental health treatment of children in state care, and supports its commitment to meaningfully reconciling with all those affected."
Australian church, take abuse commission report seriously or risk irrelevance
"In Australia, the bishops have no place to hide. This Royal Commission has exposed the dysfunction and obfuscation that typified the hierarchy's approach to the scandal. It has revealed the parlous state of moral leadership from those purporting to be leaders of character and virtue. It has unravelled a history of hypocrisy, shame and corruption," Francis Sullivan, CEO Australia's Truth, Justice and Healing Council.